I woke Greg and told him that I was going to go to the hospital to make sure there was nothing to be concerned about, and I made him stay home so that he and Fletcher could get some good rest. I was hopeful that if these contractions were indeed signs of premature labor, perhaps I was catching things early enough to halt labor and be released the next day with my baby still safely in my belly.
I drove myself to the ER and checked in, where I was quickly whisked upstairs to the Labor & Delivery wing. My nurse gave me a gown, tucked me into a bed, and hooked me up to all sorts of monitors/iv's. I tried to sleep, but as the nurses came and went throughout the night it became clear to me that in spite of all my efforts to carry my son full term (weekly progesterone shots, daily naps during Fletcher's nap time, not lifting heavy things, taking things easy in general, etc...), he was most likely going to be coming early after all.
I texted Greg with updates as I got them, knowing that he wasn't sleeping anyway. I called my parents in Georgia when it was about 5:00am their time to let them know what was going on.
By morning they had hooked me up to a magnesium drip and given me a shot of steroids that would really help the baby's lungs if he did end up coming early. I asked when they thought I would be able to go home and was told that I wouldn't be leaving while I was still pregnant -- the two options were that I would either be monitored on bed rest until the baby reached 36 weeks, or that I would have the baby early and leave him in the NICU when I was finally discharged.
My OB came to visit me on her way into the office the next morning and she ordered an ultrasound to see if I could attempt a natural birth or if a c-section was my only option since I had a previa (which in a nutshell means that there wasn't enough room between my placenta and the birth canal.) The ultrasound confirmed that the previa was still there and that there was too great a risk of the baby bleeding to death if a natural birth was attempted, so a c-section would have to be done.
I called my parents to give them the update and learned that in the few hours since I woke them up they had packed and driven to Florida so that my mom could fly out of Orlando to be with me (there was a snow storm about to hit Atlanta). I was so grateful to hear that my mom would be there the next day.
Greg and Fletcher came to visit me in the hospital before lunch, and it meant the world to get to see them. I was so worried about both of them but Greg was a rock and Fletcher was doing great with his dad. We didn't have a lot of time to talk, but we did decide that "Shortbread's" name should be Clark. It felt good to finally know our baby's name and to have something proper to call him.
I got pretty sick from the magnesium drip over the next 36 hours, but I had the sweetest nurses I could ever hope for and they took really good care of me and made me as comfortable as possible. I also had some visits from some amazing friends who encouraged me and prayed with me when I was too numb and sick to even think of what to pray myself.
After 24 hours I was given a second shot of the steroids and told me that I had another 24 hours on the magnesium drip (which is what was stalling my contractions) but that after that I'd be taken off the drip and if my labor progressed further they would move forward with the c-section.
I had checked myself into the ER on Monday night (Jan 26th), and they managed to keep Clark in my womb until Friday morning (Jan 30th). I am so grateful for those extra 3 days because they allowed my baby to fully absorb the two rounds of steroids I was given and I think it did him a lot of good.
As expected, once the magnesium drip was removed my contractions intensified and my labor was clearly progressing, a c-section was scheduled for 9:00am and Greg was called to come be with me while Fletcher stayed home with my mother.
Though I'd had half a week to prepare myself for the c-section, once they began wheeling me into the OR I got really overwhelmed. It was all happening so fast, and though I felt confident that I was in good hands I couldn't stop the few fat tears that escaped my eyes and silently rolled down my cheeks. My wonderful nurse Jenny came around the table and gave me a great bear hug as the needle went into my spine to numb me, and the entire team encouraged me and talked me through everything that was happening each step of the way. Then Greg appeared at my side and I got to hold his hand, which I never let go of throughout the whole surgery.
I felt a lot of tugging and pulling, but no pain. There was a loud cry when Clark came out, and I was told that he was a nice healthy pink color. I got to have a quick glimpse of him before they took him over to the warmer, and I was relieved to see him looking so good. Greg said when they put him on the scale to weigh him he gripped the side and almost pulled himself right off!
Greg got to cut his umbilical cord, then they swaddled Clark and put a little stocking cap on his head and he was brought over to me again. They put his cheek against mine and I got to nuzzle him for a few moments before he and Greg went to the NICU and I was wheeled into recovery. I could feel his tiny eyelashes on my cheek and his little puffs of breath each time he exhaled.
That was about two and a half weeks ago, and though Clark is still in the NICU he is doing very well. He's tolerating the milk I've been pumping for him and he's gaining weight like a champ, but he is still learning how to suck and tires fast when he tries to eat from a bottle or breast feed. Thankfully there are no major health concerns though. It's just a matter of time before he can come home.
Going through the process of a premature birth again -- this time with a toddler at home and a surgery to recover from -- has been tough. Visiting Clark in the NICU brings back familiar worries and frustrations, but this time we have the luxury of knowing some of the friendly faces that remember us from 2 years ago.
As with last time we are overwhelmed with support from our friends and family. Greg and I are reminded of how humbling it is to accept help when we are so vulnerable and have nothing to offer in return, but we are inspired to be the sort of people who give as lovingly as we've been given. We can never pay everyone back, but we strive to pay all the kindness forward.
I'm blessed to have two miracle babies, and I can't wait to be a family of four all under one roof. I long for the day when I can hold both of my sons at the same time. I love them both so much.
![]() |
| Meet Clark David, born January 30, 2014. |

beautiful!
ReplyDeleteHey lady. Hope all is well with the boys. Miss your updates. Was hoping for your email address (if you even have time to read blogs these days) so as to add you to my readers list. Email me if you get the chance lindzhamilton@gmail.com
ReplyDelete